Maintaining your home HVAC system is an important duty for a homeowner. Poorly maintained HVAC units break down at inopportune times. Emergency repair service calls get expensive. For home furnaces Oshawa residents can get a solid disount when they need installations or repairs. From any other service provider, it can get a bit nasty.
Your HVAC system has several ways to suggest it needs a technician. If you pay attention, it tells you when ignoring it further will make it break. Here are a few ways your HVAC system tells you to call a technician right away.
1. Your Utility Bill Increases Suddenly
- If your utility bill suddenly spikes in cost, your HVAC system is the most likely culprit.
- The EPA indicates that heating your home costs more than any other energy system you have. Heating makes up approximately 42 percent of your utility costs each cold month.
- When your HVAC system has a problem, it tries to compensate by working overtime. This uses a lot of energy.
2. Your Heater Runs Too Long
- If you notice your heater runs for most of the day trying to increase the temperature slightly, it has one of several problems going on.
- You may have leaks throughout your HVAC system that divert warm air from where it needs to go.
- If your system or furnace leaks, a technician can track them down and fix them.
3. Your Thermostat Won’t Work
- Check the setting to make sure it is set to heat mode and at a temperature lower than what your home is right now. Check your fuse or breaker box to make sure it did not blow a fuse.
- Once you rule out those problems, you probably should call a technician. Several reasons contribute to a non-working thermostat and most of them concern the wiring.
- As the wiring runs through your entire HVAC system, a homeowner usually lacks the necessary tools to locate and repair the problem.
4. You Hear Strange Noises Coming from the HVAC System
- Screeching, banging and buzzing noises is one way your HVAC system pleads for a technician’s help.
- Your ignition system starts screeching or whining when it starts to fail.
- Buzzing or grinding noises commonly indicate the source is a cracked belt that will break at any time. Get a technician out as soon as you can to fix this before it becomes an emergency.
5. You Smell Strange Odors from the Vents
- You should never smell any odor from the air pumped through your HVAC system. Any odor is cause for concern.
- If you smell a musty odor, mildew and mold are present in your ductwork. This has a direct effect on you and your family’s health so call a technician right away.
- A dusty smell often means not only do you have clogged filters, but dirt and dust made its way throughout your system. That includes your furnace motor. Again, call a technician.
Your HVAC system shows distinctive signs when it needs a technician’s intervention before it breaks. Ideally, routine maintenance ensures it never reaches that point. However, older systems start to fail more often.